# Initialize and get the keys
$ kubectl exec vault-0 -- vault operator init -key-shares=1 -key-threshold=1 -format=json > cluster-keys.json
$ VAULT_UNSEAL_KEY=$(cat cluster-keys.json | jq -r ".unseal_keys_b64")
$ kubectl exec vault-0 -- vault operator unseal $VAULT_UNSEAL_KEY
# Show pod status
$ kubectl get pods -l app.kubernetes.io/name=vault
NAME READY STATUS RESTARTS AGE
vault-0 1/1 Running 2 16h
# Show Vault status
$ kubectl exec vault-0 -- vault status
Seal Type shamir
Total Shares 1
Cluster Name vault-cluster-f6c361da
Cluster ID a757fd57-3032-59ec-d03a-4ad0556536ea
HA Enabled false
The important part is: the Vault pod(s) run and it’s Sealed=False.
Just came back from a 5 day trip through Hokkaido. Here my observations regarding COVID-19:
Definitely less tourists, but not empty either. Lots of cars from Sapporo, so a lot of tourists are from Hokkaido and traveling within their (large) prefecture.
Every hotel, restaurant and shop had hand disinfectant at their entrance. Everyone’s using it.
Every hotel had those at elevators too since you touch the elevator buttons.
Every hotel and most museum checked your forehead temperature.
Every hotel and many museum asked for your address so they could trace back who was here when someone is found out to have COVID-19.
Where there are seats and tables, about half was unavailable.
Lots of places had announcement of them disinfecting surfaces on a regular basis (tables, rails, generally things you touch). And often you could see that happening when you stay long enough.
For buffet type food, you get one-time gloves to pick up your food. Everything is neatly laid out so you can grab one thing without touching more (e.g. cutlery).
Almost everyone wears masks. Correctly too. 100% inside buildings (excl. places where you eat or drink, or in public baths), and I’d say 80% outside too. Depends a bit on the chances to be near to someone else. The more people in less space, the more you approach 100%, but if it’s all empty with >5m distances between groups, it’s more like 50% mask wearer. It’s hot after all and the masks do not help.
In the airplane, everyone had a mask. Nothing stupid happening like this.
Boarding and leaving the plane was well organized in groups to minimize the time to stand around in close proximity. First the window seats at the back of the plane, then the middle seats, then the aisle. Then repeat for the front half. Leaving was slightly different: first the front 10 rows, then the next 10 rows etc. I hope they keep this method.
In summary: Everyone certainly did what was doable to prevent anyone getting any disease via touch or droplets.
Unrelated to COVID-19, but interesting nonetheless:
The weather is so much nicer than in Tokyo: not only much cooler (28 vs 35°C), but also much less humid. Also there’s generally wind.
Sunshine is still strong though, so you’ll get sunburn. Ask me how I know…
It starts to be Autumn in Hokkaido! Leaves are starting to change colors.
The rear gear changing shift level I had broke partially. Downshifting was fine. Upshifting worked except I had to manually push the lever into its original position in order to change another gear up. Root cause was the steel spring to reset that lever rusted away.
Replacing it with a new one like this was surprisingly cheap and quick: 1900 Yen, about 15 minutes work.
While riding my bike a while ago, the bottom bracket gear cable guide broke. I got a generic replacement which looked similar enough. Made by Shimano. For about 350 Yen. Awesome! What could go wrong?
Turns out a lot: the diameter it’s made for is smaller than the one needed for my bicycle. And the included screw has a different thread than the existing one. And there’s an extra plastic alignment knob. So it seems those bottom bracket gear cable guides are not all the same. Well, live and learn.
However not all is lost! I still have the original screw and it fits into the screw hole of the new cable guide. The alignment knob I could easily cut off with a chisel. The plastic used is thermoplastic, to heating it up a bit makes it bend enough to fit. The cable for the front derailleur would (just) rub against the aluminium frame, so a piece of UHMWPE adhesive tape fixes that.
I replaced the complete gear cables. They were rusty although that seems to not matter much. The new cable with the new housing is smoother though. Without a dedicated cable cutter, I used my Dremel to cut the housing. That’s a tough piece of housing!
Adjusting the derailleurs was easier than I expected. It’s smoother now than it was before, although I cannot say why: could be the cleaning of the chain and other moving parts, or the adjusted derailleurs, or the new cables.
I also replaced the front break pads. I guess 14 years is a good time to replace them. The new ones I got work very well. Quieter and breaking better. I’ll replace the one in the back too, and maybe the complete brakes as they are rusty enough to worry me a bit.
Summary: Total costs of parts: about 4000 Yen. Tools I had to buy: mainly a bicycle stand (3500 Yen). Got a torque wrench, although I did not need it in the end.